Monday, May 31, 2010

The weekend was marvellous

The weekend was marvellous.  I ended up just chilling most of the time and honestly feel better for it.
I'm almost fully recharged and ready for the next round.


To that end, I decided to ring the radiotherapy team today and find out when they were going to do the mask.  The conversation went something like this:
"Have you had your teeth done?"
"Yes on the 14th."
"Was that just the examination?"
"No, they took out the 4 wisdom teeth and 1 more for good measure."
"Is the swelling all settled down?"
"Yes and I've also had my follow-up with Mr Patel and he is happy with the result."
"What about the peg?"
"That went in on the 19th and is as good as gold."
"Have you seen the medical oncologist?"
"Yes, saw Catherine Barrow on Friday."
"Did she have anything else she needed?"
"Not that I'm aware of."
"So, what are you doing tomorrow?"


Well, now I'll be spending 3-4 hours at Wellington Hospital to get the mask sorted.  Appointment at noon will make the mask, then I disappear until just after 2pm.  At that stage they'll check the mask and start to do the marking up, etc for where the nuking has to go.


Seems because of the treatment area, I'll be getting a long neck mask.  I'm not sure if I get to bring the mask home, but I'll try and get a picture regardless for posting tomorrow night.


Yet again, I've opened my mouth and brought on "medical intervention", but this time I'm really happy as it will mean we can get some dates set for when the treatment proper will start.


In preparation of the all day chemo appointments, I've ordered an e-reader so I can read easily while I listen to the iPod and just chill.


Yep, I'm tinged with some degree of nervousness as we're now on a countdown to battle.  At the same time I want to get this started so it's over "quicker".  Strange comment I suppose.  It will be seven weeks of treatment regardless of when it starts, but I don't want TC having one minute more than necessary to go on a road trip around my body.  And I want my recovery well and truly on the way so as not to miss any good summer weather.



No comments:

Post a Comment