Friday, May 14, 2010

The Treatment Train Gathers Pace

Well, home now and must say today has been useful in a number of ways.


Firstly, I'm now minus five teeth - all sitting here in a jar.  That means we're past hurdle one towards starting the "real" treatment.  Trying to figure out if my crown will become a "trophy" of sorts - this is the price I paid to beat this thing.


Secondly, and quite importantly, I have had somewhat of a dummy run for how painful my jaw can/will feel.  To say it hurts like hell is an understatement.  One "side effect" is they also put in a whole heap of local and I quite honestly can't feel  my bottom lip or chin.  Drinking is via a straw - only way I can find the gap between my teeth!


They gave me an ice-block at the hospital, but had to cut it up so I could eat it with a spoon.


Thirdly, I've been having a saliva overload since I woke up and of course this has heightened my awareness that this natural mechanism won't be available to me in a few months.  Maybe need to carry some straws with me?


Jury is still out on my pain thresh-hold, but as it is currently nearly impossible to even contemplate taking either antibiotic or painkillers, will see how next couple of hours pan out.


Big ups to a number of people today.  Firstly, the guys at Tower moved heaven and earth to get the pre-approval through for today.  Secondly, thanks to Chris and Ruth for their efforts in transporting and minding me once I got home.


Biggest thanks go to the hitherto unsung heroes and I'm sure I'll praise them all again before I'm declared the winner of this bout.  To date I've experienced nothing but 110% professionalism, understanding and support from everyone at both Hutt and Bowen Hospitals.  While the speed of some of this is quite daunting, I'm being talked to, not at, and the whole process is going quite seamlessly.  People knock our health system, but from where I stand, facing the opponent I do, I don't think I could ask for better standards of care.  A massive thank you to you all.


On a final note (starting to get a tad weary again), I got home to a voicemail from the nuclear medicine team at Wellington Hospital letting me know I have an appointment on Wednesday at 9am for a GSR (?) workup.  By the way, this will take five hours (yep, 5), so consider your day written off.  Will ring them on Monday to confirm and ascertain what we're dong, but it is possible this is about the face mask as Chris said it was a long exercise when Val had to have her one done.


Already thinking about what I can do with the mask once this is all over.


So, next week is shaping up for an all-dayer on Wednesday and the following week is my follow-up with Mr Patel to make sure my teeth/gums/jaw are healing properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment