Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Waiting Continues Post-Op

They’ve managed to wake me up and I’m now back in the day ward sitting in a comfortable lazyboy chair with remote control to recline it.

Seems if tonsil was taken, they’ll keep me in for observation for 4 hours, as opposed to an hour or so if not.  Until recently adult patients were required to stay in overnight if they had their tonsils out.  So, given it’s my birthday, going home - albeit a little later than planned - still sounds better than a night in the ward upstairs.

But wait, there is a twist in the tale of going home – I have to have someone in the house with me overnight.  Seems I might haemorrhage or something, so important someone is there that can call the ambulance.  My sister draws the short straw so I let her know of her impending Friday Night activity.  Luckily she is happy to help me out if needed.  So that minor crisis is avoided.

Next, Rose is offering me an ice-block to help soothe my throat.  No complaints here, happy to have it as throat isn’t feeling all that pleasant.

Rose keeps coming to check on me and keeping me updated re what we’re waiting for, etc.  Biggie is waiting for Mr Morrissey to come and have our post-op chat.  Honestly, still quite dozy at this time, so slip in and out of sleep.  During another of my awake moments, ice block number two is offered and accepted.

We’ve decided, Rose and I, that an Egg sandwich is most appropriate for my lunch (given I haven’t eaten for over 18 hours now I am feeling somewhat peckish) and the only other choice is corned beef which I don’t imagine will be as easy to get past an inflamed throat.  I feel like I could devour more than just one, but will address that in due course.  Seems as it’s my birthday, will also get some jelly and ice-cream as pudding.  Feel almost like a kid again and must admit it is quite nice having people looking after you.  Shame about the circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment