Saturday, May 8, 2010

The New Week Dawns

With my head in the right space, here we go for what I’m calling Hospital week.

Pre-op is a doddle.  Normal tests and an insight on to what is likely to happen on Friday.

Tuesday afternoon rolls round and it’s another early finish at work to head off to the hospital.  CT scan is a new experience for me.  Walking in to the room is quite daunting, but this is all to help determine what if anything is wrong, so I do as I’m told.  Not something I’d say I enjoyed, but an experience nevertheless.

Ultrasound would turn out to be more testing of my mettle.  When it was initially explained to me, I’d be given a local anaesthetic and then with the aid of ultrasound, they’d take a biopsy of the lump in my neck and I’d be on my way home.

Best laid plans and all that.  The ultrasound technician/guru convinces me that the sting, etc from the local would be as bad as, if not worse, than the initial sting from the biopsy needle, so how about we do it without the local?  Bravado steps in and I agree to it – as well as the 2nd biopsy being taken the same way.

For those of you who have experienced having a biopsy taken, you’ll know it isn’t exactly an enjoyable experience, so imagine if you will my delight when they agreed between themselves (ultrasound team and the pathologist) that a 3rd set of samples would be nice.  End result, three needles in my neck, no local to numb anything and the lump reacted to being prodded and poked and has been visibly noticeable since.

No comments:

Post a Comment