Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Verdict is in

Mr Morrissey has arrived to tell me what he found and did, etc.  He doesn’t mince words and I’m actually pleased about that.  Seems he’s 80% certain we’re dealing with cancer of the tonsils.  First thought is never heard of that before.  Next thought is, OK how do we deal to this?  Seems it responds well to treatment with chemotherapy and radiotherapy.  Like most cancers, mark of success will be 5 years cancer free.  Seems he took a fair chunk of my left tonsil for biopsy and has sent samples to the pathologists at both Hutt and Wellington hospitals.

I’ll have a follow-up appointment with him Monday week (10th) and once Rose is happy I can eat and drink without throwing up or haemorrhaging, I can go home.

One thing that crosses my mind is why didn’t he take out the whole tonsil while he was there if he is that strong on the problem.  Will obviously be one of many questions for the follow-up.

Egg sandwich duly arrives, followed ½ an hour or so later by the jelly & ice-cream.  Seems one sandwich was actually sufficient – not exactly easy to swallow (vindicates decision not to have corned beef).  By the time have taken numerous small bites and chewed as much as possible before trying to swallow, almost too tired from effort to eat anything else.  Effort is akin to eating full meal, not just one sandwich.

It is around now that I’ve decided that given Mr Morrissey’s level of certainty, it’s time to face the reality and hence forth I’m dealing with cancer.

With that in mind, I’m now faced with when to tell those nearest and dearest to me.  I’ve decided that not telling anyone until I’m home and they’ve gathered around is best course of action.  That way nobody finds out before anyone else, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment