Monday, June 14, 2010

What Happened To Getting A Normal Week?

Well, it's almost a week since the last post and despite my best hopes, things haven't gone as well as anticipated.


Firstly, the head cold decided it wasn't finished with me and today I'm almost over it (touch wood).  A few morning and night coughs, but by in large, all done and dusted.


It stuffed up my plans a tad, but far better to have it now than in a week or two's time.  To this end, I've discussed with my boss about working from home Wed 23rd - Fri 25th, just to ensure I don't come into contact with any bugs.


Next, had my district nurse clinic appointment for them to check on Jake and they were pleased.  Jake however decided to rebel as he is want to do.  When I gave him his pre-bedtime clean on Saturday night, everything was just fine.  Come Sunday morning there was some blood around the stoma.  After contemplating whether to check it out with someone, I rang the district nurse after hours and while she thought it was OK and knew what it was, we agreed to meet at the clinic at 12:15 just to be sure.


After a quick look, she was happy her diagnosis was correct.  Apparently it is a granulation tissue issue - basically the two layers of skin aren't playing nicely.  A quick application of some silver nitrate to seal it off and I'm free to go.  At the same time, the effect the pad that holds Jake's tube to my stomach was having on my skin caused the nurse some concern.  She also saw the beginnings of a pressure type sore where the flange is consistently sitting.  It was agreed I'd go home, shave the right side of my stomach and move the pad, etc to that side to give my left side time to recover.  One advantage is that as I sleep on my left side, I no longer have to worry about catching it during the night.  It does however now slightly get in the way of seatbelts.


All that said, I am feeling a bit of discomfort from Jake where the silver nitrate was applied.  Hopefully that will settle down over next couple of days.


While down in the Hutt, I went shopping for a new stove for the house.  Seems the current one isn't an economic repair given the number of faulty elements, etc.  Yet more expense I wasn't really planning on, but part of the "make  it all easy for me while I'm sick" exercise.  Just need the sparky to come and wire it in now.  


On the positive side, Wendie rang and is coming to see me on Thursday the 24th to discuss what to expect from the chemo in more detail.  She was amazed the district nurses were insisting on me using sterile gauze for cleaning Jake - especially as it isn't a sterile area.  She is going to sort that out with them.


Also on the positive side, Wellington Hospital rang on Friday and confirmed my appointment with the chemo nurse and Catherine Barrow for 8:30 am on Monday the 28th. So that it the final piece in the puzzle for actually starting treatment.  


I must admit I'd really like to have the opportunity to have another session with Hugo before the treatment proper starts.  With a gap of nearly 3 weeks, I do have some concerns that I'll have to overcome all that trepidation again, but at least this time I know the pills do indeed work.  Given the pressure they're under, not even going to push the issue as I'd hate to think someone who genuinely needed that spot has missed out just so I can get more comfortable with Hugo.


The weekend was actually quite productive.  Sharon and Phil were around on Saturday and almost have the gardens, etc under control.  Sean came around Sunday morning and we got all the stuff out of storage and into the garden shed - just need to sort it all out now.  The battery conditioner is doing its job - the Vette started first time after sitting for a week  , but need to try and stem the water that is being driven under the driver's t-top when it rains.  It isn't nice getting water dripping all over your legs.  


And Sunday finished off really well with a lengthy skype session with my son Tim who is in London. Great to actually see him and talk to him again.  After finished with him, repeated the exercise with big sister Faye in Brisbane, so I'm happy the off shore whanau is all up to date.


So, this week is district nurses on Thursday and not prepared to be tempting fate any more, at the moment there are no other medical bits planned.  Seems no matter how hard I try, there just isn't such a thing as a normal week to be enjoyed at the moment.  Today wasn't bad, so maybe, just maybe, the tide is turning.

No comments:

Post a Comment