Thursday, June 17, 2010

Jake Doesn't Like It Rough

Small scare/issue yesterday with Jake that served to remind me I can no longer do things the way I used to.


As a result of helping with some office shifts yesterday, the pad that holds Jake to my stomach became a casualty and the tube was effectively free floating.  This of course placed a strain on the stoma/flange and as I didn't notice for a few minutes, ended up with a fair degree of discomfort.


I managed to jury-rig a temporary "sling" to support it until I got home and as I was applying the new pad, the discharge, etc around the stoma was worse than normal.  I gave it a clean and believe me it was great to have the tube supported properly again.


Still took a couple of hours for the discomfort to settle down.


The pre-bed clean also showed an increased weepage, but not much I could do other than clean it again.


This morning, things seem to have settled down with normal weepage levels to deal with.  I've got my district nurses clinic appointment this morning, so all in all quite timely.


Lesson learnt: I've got to be more careful and can't go doing anything that might aggravate Jake.  Unfortunately, it is another example of how I'm having to tone things down to accommodate TC and I hate to have to do that on any level.  Needs must however, and I'll have the last laugh in a couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment