Friday, June 18, 2010

Strapping That Would Win an Engineering Prize

Visit with district nurse went well - no damage to Jake fortunately (sigh of relief).  My "emergency medical" bag now has some spare pads in it as well.


There is still some ongoing concern about the way the tube sits when fastened to the pad as it is continually putting pressure on the bottom of the stoma / flange.  This was the same issue when the pad was on the left hand side of my stomach, so has been under observation for a few weeks now.


So, necessity is the mother of invention and armed with some plastic skin, strapping tape and a sense of humour, I'm now sporting an arrangement that so far has successfully kept the stoma / flange level and made cleaning last night a lot easier as well.


There is currently no pain either, so seems like a win-win result.  Only real downside is the appearance, but that only really affects me.  There is some limitation in movement, but one adjusts quickly as one must.


Of course the challenge will be what to do when the tape eventually fails - I'm picking it won't last much beyond one more daily shower.  Most likely, there will be more chest hair removal to allow a different positioning of the pad and I'm thinking some kiwi ingenuity with a 1/2 width pad as well might just deliver the result required.


Sounds like a weekend job to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment