Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Timing Is Everything

The appointment with Tatiana went well.  Confirmed weight loss from the gastric bug was 11.5 kg.  While I'm happy about the weight loss, not impressed at all with how it was achieved.


Tatiana also checked my blood pressure - OK, but a bit on the low side.  She was most concerned about my overall fitness level.  Seems when I breathe in and out deeply (as I had to for her to listen to my chest, etc), my heart rate goes up.  That means my overall fitness has dropped and I'm now on a routine of walking, etc to try and rebuild it.


Not something I'd thought about as a side effect of the gastric thing, but there you go.


Also now have some sleeping pills, and I can confirm they do work.  At last getting some sleep and that has improved my demeanour immensely.


So, on to the subject of this post.  While I'm obviously happy to be eating three meals a day orally, the ongoing concern is my weight.  Having forgone the fortisip and night feed, obviously if there isn't sufficient nutrition going in, my weight will drop and Paul the dietitian will make me start taking fortisip,etc again to get my weight back up.  


After the last appointment with Paul, I weighed myself at home and there was only 100gm difference.  So, at least we know the scales at home are near enough accurate.


But here is the kicker.  I weighed myself one morning and I was best part of a kilo lighter than I was.  Instant panic set in and I started eating anything and everything I could.  Then, I thought about it a bit more and re-weighed myself in the afternoon, at about the same time I was weighed at the hospital.  I'd put on 200gm.  So, moral is weigh yourself at the same time (and in as close as possible the3 same clothes for weight) unless you want a fright or two.


The extra 200gm is still there, but think I really need a bit more to placate Paul.  Work in progress that one.


If things continue this well, hopefully at the appointment on the 22nd, there will be discussions about removing Jake.

No comments:

Post a Comment