Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Lost Art of Sleeping

Things continue to pick up on the health front.  Seems things have settled down and bowels now back to normal.


Even the eating is continuing apace.  With the help of a diet sheet from Paul, I'm now eating three meals a day.  Breakfast is porridge, lunch tends to be noodles at moment and dinner is usually minced meat (beef or chicken), mixed veges and mash.  Dessert tends to be fruit and ice cream.  As a result, I haven't been taking any fortisip to top up as I've felt full enough with what I'm eating. 


The problem to overcome now is a lack of sleep.  I'm struggling to get more than an hour or two each night.  For the last few months, I've always had morphine pumping through me and that has no doubt aided my sleeping.  But now, I'm totally drug free and don't have any aids to assist sleep.  Over recent nights I've tried some natural drops and then some gel tablets to try and help, but they have had limited success. I feel tired when I go to bed, but sleep is just eluding me.


Last two nights I've also not put the overnight feed on so I could lie down in the hope that would help.  Again, limited success.


So, I'm at somewhat of a crossroads.  I'm surviving on minimum sleep and managing to get through the day, but concentration and energy levels aren't where I want them to be.  Also as a result, my overall energy levels aren't where they should be.


Have appointment with Tatiana tomorrow (follow-up from the gastric bug as instructed by the hospital), so no doubt this will get raised then.


As a closing comment, while I'm enjoying eating again, I can't wait for when I'm able to eat real food.  Minced is fine, but steak, eggs and chips it isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment