Friday, November 5, 2010

Freedom - Phase 1

Freedom is something we all take for granted - we consider it one of our human rights.
We know internationally that isn't the case and so every so often something happens that makes us appreciate what we have.


For the last almost five months, my sense of freedom has been definitely under question.  Thanks to the syringe driver, I have had to accommodate a daily visit from the district nurses before I can really do anything.  I'm also constrained by my cocktail of drugs and the regime  that accompanies that.  And we mustn't forget my mate Jake.


Today is a momentous day.  Today the syringe driver and I parted company.  Yes it is a bit earlier than was originally planned, but  the district nurses and I agreed the morphine dose was now so small, it wasn't really doing anything any more.  I had moved from 200mg a day to 20mg = 0.83ml a day.  My top up allowance is 4ml every 4 hours, although I haven't had to use that at all for a number of weeks now.


So, today I had my first shower in months unencumbered and it was bloody marvellous.  I didn't really appreciate how restrictive the driver had been until that shower.


I feel like this is a real turning point in the recovery process today - quite possibly another Yippee!! moment as I can now move around without the damn syringe driver hanging off me.


My cupboards are now devoid of needles and associated drugs - when I'm eating properly, there will actually now be room for food!


This weekend is going to be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment