Thursday, July 8, 2010

It Is The Little Things That Catch Me Out

Well, it is now Thursday and I'm adjusting to the lack of taste buds as best I can.
I still have some taste where cold foods are concerned and Ruth N has said if ice cream works for me, go for it.  Ironic really.  If my tonsils had been removed when I was younger, I'd also have been allowed to eat ice cream then.  Now, because of I've still got my tonsils, I have TC and the radiotherapy has nuked my taste buds, but I can still taste ice cream.


After Monday's treatment I tried to see Ruth N, but she was busy, so didn't get to have a conversation with her re recent developments until then.  Not really much to say about that discussion - everybody responds differently to the RT, I just lost my taste buds early.  Shit happens.  Some good tips though.  I'm now back on one of the anti-nausea pills "full time".  Taken 1/2 hour before food, it settles the stomach and reduces that "rejection" (which in reality is nausea) sensation.  Also, by eating little and often, one can almost trick the system.  Can attest that both work.


Had my baseline hearing test on Monday afternoon - seems my upper registers are screwed, but rest are good.  An age thing as opposed to result of chemo.  Advantage is I would be able to hear any really high pitched moaning :)


Monday night's dinner was potato & bacon soup.  Smelt great, think I now know what dirty dishwater tastes like though.  Real effort to try and get 1/2 of it down.


Had chinese for tea on Tuesday night and for the first time in many days, I ate what was almost a normal serving size.  If in doubt - medicate.  Now, chicken fried rice can of course be quite bland anyway - you never know how much taste the rice will have and the chicken is pretty inoffensive as well.  That said, despite the lack of taste sensations, my system didn't throw a hissy fit.  Victory for the little guys.


Wednesday, I took some filled rolls to work to munch on during the day - the roast beef and the pork one were fine, but the shredded chicken was so dry I just couldn't eat them.  So come tea time, I went for something light - b&e mini pies made for me by Ana.  About the size of a muffin, these are truly nice and convenient, but must say without taste buds they do lose a bit.  Again, no issues getting them down though.


It is probably about here I need to set the scene.  The Weather in Wellington this week has been a tad variable and I have struggled to get the balance right between being dressed for the rain as opposed to the cold.  Also, I think with getting tired around 4pm each day, my body temperature spikes a bit as well.  So, by Wednesday afternoon, I had a little sniffle back - nothing major, just annoying.


Last night turned out to be yet another night from hell.  I got night sweats, was up and down to the loo more than normal, restless sleep, and the dry mouth had me drinking water on numerous occasions as well - normally it doesn't unduly worry me overnight.


Woke up this morning and was feeling pretty stuffed.  Disturbed sleep is never a good thing and I just couldn't really work up the energy to get up.  Eventually, doing my best zombie impression, I got through the morning routine and went off to pick Moira up.  She was coming to hospital with me today to meet Hugo and see an RT session.  Still drinking lots of water to counter the dry mouth/throat.


The RT nurses asked how I was and in passing I mentioned the rough night sleep.  Well, I wasn't ready for what happened after I came out after the treatment.  Today was my day to meet Kate the speech therapist (thanks for the advanced warning guys, good thing I had the day off), but she was stuck in traffic, so we got to wait.  Then, it seems she had actually arrived, so back we went to one of the consultation rooms.  Ruth N came in with Kate, then I got taken to task.


"What's this about the night sweats?  Did you take your temperature?"  Shit, hadn't even given that any thought.  I quite simply didn't think the sweats could be fever related.  I had cocked up.  Seems at this time after chemo, immune system is most susceptible to infection. Oops, I'm now the naughty school boy being quite rightly chastised for misbehaving.  In the coming 1/2 hour I have my temperature taken - elevated at 37.4, some bloods taken and sent away for urgent results to see what the blood  cell levels look like and my blood pressure checked.  In between Ruth N doing all this, Kate is talking to me and having me do various facial exercises to set a baseline for future reference.  I also had to drink some water while she felt my neck to see if the swallow was working properly.  We're told we can go get some breakfast, but can't go home until the blood results come through.


Dutifully back in reception waiting, get my temp taken again - 37.1 this time and we wait. Tests eventually come back and they're not upset, but Ruth N still wants to have a chat with the Doctor.  Now I need to give a urine sample and sputum sample if possible.  Urine no issue - drunk enough water today,  but the sputum just wasn't a happening thing, so I've got a sample jar at home in case I deliver something that isn't clear coloured.  (Sorry for the level of specifics, but they need to be recorded).


So, got home around lunch time.  What a long morning and as I was still feeling run-down, blobbing in front of the TV seemed appropriate.  OK, so the morning's activities and screwed with the eating little and often, and I didn't take my anti-nausea pill before lunch, so it wasn't a particularly pleasant event.


Ruth S called on the phone in the afternoon, so filled her in and get feeling she's not happy with me either over this debacle.


Curry for dinner - forgot pill again, taste disaster and the nauseous stomach resulted.  Took a pill and eventually got something down and the stomach is now happy.  Mental note, trying to eat something as a second sitting that you've already had a reaction to isn't a good idea.


It Is The Little Things That Catch Me Out - and The Devil Is In The Detail.  I should have thought about the implications of last night and followed what I'd been told to do in such cases.  I should have been taking the pills as part of my daily routine and eating today wouldn't have been such an effort.  Today has really driven home that I'm now totally controlled by my health and can't afford to cut corners or just roll with the situation.  There is too much at stake and the consequences of being blase are potentially fatal.


No more cutting corners, no more "that can wait until tomorrow", I need to become a machine as far as all of this goes.


As reality checks go, today has been a goodie.


FYI, temp currently 36.9 and I've made decision not to go to work tomorrow as weather is going to be crap and don't see point in risking aggravating my health.


Thanks Moiz for your support & assistance today.

No comments:

Post a Comment