Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Big Win Today

Before I get to that, a recap of the last couple of days.


A side effect of one of the anti-nausea drugs is insomnia, so while I didn't feel sick Monday 
night, I was wide awake at 4:22 am.  Hmmm.
Overall, felt pretty good on Tuesday, went to work as normal, but still really tired.  Queue another side effect of the anti-nausea cocktail - feeling tired, dry mouth.  Great.  Thank goodness this is only for three days and I'm also happy I'm on three weekly chemo (instead of weekly) or else I'd be zonked for 7 weeks.


I had a call from the district nurses Monday night to see how I was (voice mail as they rang before I got home) and Wendie rang to see how I was on Tuesday.  She was really surprised I was at work and sounding so well.


Tuesday RT session went well, but I was pretty well knackered anyway, so was just along for the ride so to speak.  Despite them saying the amount of time in Hugo will be less once we start treatment, it hasn't reduced yet.


Tuesday night was a case of stay awake as long as possible, but sleep was still restless (50% victory/improvement I suppose).  But, and there had to be one, had somewhat of an unsettled stomach when I woke up.  so, I'm still tired, no nausea, but stomach feeling tad dodgy.  By time I got to work, I had what would best be described as a bad case of acid reflux that just wouldn't go away.  I persevered until it was time for the RT, but by then I was feeling decidedly dodgy/unwell.


Again, RT went well (support crew for the day was Nick & Kylie) and when I mentioned my stomach issue, they had me wait to see the registrar.  Seems the anti-nausea steroid (there is 4 pills in total I take daily) unsettles the stomach  - akin to taking voltaren.  Great, so now I've got losec to take to settle the reflux.  Had to go home early from work, just couldn't cope (thanks to Moira for being chauffeur) and as the losec take some time to kick in, bought some milanta pills to kick start it all.


When I got home, quickly found that sitting up was worse than lying down, but either way, didn't really get any substantive relief before going to bed.


Another restless night, but only small residual acid reflux this morning.  Last day of the anti-nausea cocktail today - yippee, so everything will hopefully settle down over the weekend.


In preparation for the next round of chemo, me thinks I'll pop losec for a day or 2 in advance to give the stomach a chance to prepare.


It is now Thursday and back to the big win - I had my RT at 8:30 this morning WITHOUT the aid of the chill pill! Yippee, yahoo (imagine cartwheel being performed here).


I'd set myself the goal of trying to ween off the chill pills by the end of this week, but wasn't given still feeling a tad drained, thought would give it a go today and had no problem.  Ruth (nurse one) had "coached" me with some breathing exercises on Monday and I've kept that up.  Also, they will play you music during the treatment and that helps to not only pass the time, but also give you some time references (each track is approx 3 mins, so after 4 songs should be about done).


This is a big step for me.  While I was on the chill pills, it meant I always needed to have a driver to & from the hospital.  now, I can take myself and given the appointments are all at 8:30am (except for chemo days), this makes my day a lot easier to manage and gives me back independence.


Might have to have a celebratory beer tonight.


Have also decided the countdown should start at 35 - the number of treatments, so we're now officially at 31 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment