Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Hearing Test Outcome

I had my hearing test on Monday morning at Hutt Hospital and it was interesting to see the differences between Hutt & Wellington.

I've had 2 hearing tests at Wellington now and I must admit the equipment, etc looked pretty old.  Don't think that altered the result, but it seemed to somehow fit with the fact they are situated in the oldest part of the hospital.

Hutt, by comparison was a bells & whistles environment.  The gear looked newer and I was actually in a separate sound proof room for this test.  Some of the tests were also different in that they added additional noises to "confuse" my ability to hear the beeps and tones they had me listening out for.  And the results were printed out on a proper printout, not just handwritten!

End result - my hearing in the upper registers is definitely not what it should be, and that confirms what the second Wgtn test had shown.  Mr Morrisey didn't have the results of the Wgtn tests, so he couldn't confirm the loss was indeed treatment related, but I'm pretty sure the Wgtn before and after tests did show a significant drop from one to the other.

Now it's another waiting game for him to get the Wgtn records and then make a decision (possibly another 3 months before I see him again).  He was talking about getting Mr Hamilton to start the ball rolling with lodging a medical related ACC claim.  I may have to stump up for part of the cost for hearing aids (if they are deemed necessary) as good old ACC will play the age/degeneration card.  As in so many other aspects of this journey, a small price to pay for still being alive.

Oh, and Mr Morrisey suctioned my left ear to remove some debris and wax - a strange experience, but meant he could confirm both ear drums are A OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment