Friday, June 17, 2011

Body Tweaks

As I've discussed before, my body is still making adjustments post-treatment. While I've come to terms with or made allowances for most of these, some still catch me by surprise.


In my last post, I mentioned that something was afoot and since then, to be honest, something else has also surfaced.


Newest first.  As a result of the radiotherapy, the hair follicles along my jawline (ears to chin) and under both sides of my jaw got nuked.  This meant that as far as growing facial hair went, I was limited to effectively a goatee style.  I have no desire to grow one by the way, but one other side effect was it meant there was less to shave each morning.  Seems those days are coming to an end.


Over the last week or so, the jawline hair - both sides - has made somewhat of a comeback and now requires daily attention.  While I can cope with the additional effort required, it has caught me somewhat off guard as I was led to believe the hair follicles were nuked for good. This then raises the question of what else will/might come back?  I've already mentioned the changes in my hearing over the last few weeks, coupled with this I'm now wondering what else is going to burst back into life.


Which leads me nicely to the original comments about something being afoot.  While it is early days yet, it seems that I may possibly be recovering some of the saliva glands as well.  I'm playing down this possibility / significance as there may be other factors at work that are behind this, but regardless, it is indeed an interesting development.  


What I've found recently is I have a slightly lower reliance on my water bottle (is it a seasonal thing due to the colder weather?) and have even ventured out on short trips without it!  I can also now eat 2 pieces of garlic bread - might not seem a biggie to you, but given the problems bread has caused up until now, this is actually quite an achievement.  My mouth also seems to be "retaining" moisture better - I don't have to rely on the water as much to stop it being dry.  Given most of my time is spent in an office, the change of outdoor temperature can safely be ruled out as an influence here.  I also seem to be very slightly more tolerant of meat that is "turning" from being moist to slightly dry.


All little things sure, but I'm also having less middle of the night bladder issues - this means I'm getting close to six hours of uninterrupted sleep at night.  Is that weather related? Is my lower water intake the reason, or is something else also starting to return to normal?  My diet has changed slightly over the last couple of weeks as well, so is that having some perverse impact?  


I don't honestly know, but needless to say I'll be monitoring things with interest over the next week or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment