Monday, October 25, 2010

What Ever Happened To An Orderly Recovery?

With all the little setbacks I seem to have had so far along the way, that is the question I find myself asking.


I understand that the treatments were going to continue having an impact of my body for weeks after the actual zapping, etc stopped.
I understand that everybody is different and reacts differently, but why do I feel like anything that can happen, damn well seems to happen to me.


Latest little joy - another two hours at A&E today because my throat is swollen.  I noticed it yesterday and when I showed it to the nurse this morning she immediately made calls to the hospital.  So much foe a pleasant long weekend.  Now they're unsure what it is, so I get to have an appointment with the ENT team tomorrow morning.


But wait, that is at 10 in Wellington Hospital - so I am now waiting to see if the nurses can be here to change the driver over in a reasonable time frame to allow me to get to town. If not, will need to spend time on the phone with the clinic trying to sort out another time, which I just know will screw around my drug regime and probably won't be tomorrow.  So this is likely to drag on.  I'm currently working on the theory it is not a relapse of some sort of my cancer - it has come up too quickly.  Another reason why I'd like an answer quickly.


Yes, I'm feeling a bit down and a bit annoyed.  It's now been two months since the treatments finished, so I should be starting to climb back to normality (I can't actually remember what that is like, so suppose my new reality will be whatever I want to make it).  The dosage reductions are still going well (unless they are the cause somehow for my current situation) and I should be free of the pump by mid-November.  Hopefully then the throat will settle and I can attack learning to eat again with earnest - that's my current "plan" for November anyway.


I've also finally got my appointment for my follow-up hearing test.  It's not until mid-November, so have time to work myself up for that as well.  The prospect of having to wear a hearing aid (or two) isn't particularly pleasing, but if it stops the ringing in my head and let's me hear again, suppose it is all worthwhile in the end.


In case your interested, sleep patterns have returned to 90-120 minutes at a time and I'm starting to feel the sleep deprivation kick in from time to time.  Looks like I need to resort to nana-naps to try and catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment