Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Antibiotics Make An Unwelcome Return

Seems its another one of those one step forward, two steps backwards scenarios.


The dosage reductions through the syringe driver continue to go well.  Sure, the throat is sore for a day or so, but it at least settles down again before the next round starts.  Yes, it interferes with my attempts at eating real food, but one thing at a time.


So, that's the step forward.  The first step backward is I've got another infection from the syringe site (picked up on Sunday by the District Nurse), so I'm back on antibiotics - this time for two weeks.  Second step - the inconvenience which comes with it, because it represents another cycle in my daily meds - they need to be taken an hour before food or two hours after, so I now have 2 four hourly cycles running an hour apart.


Where previously I could physically go to work in the afternoons and time things to be home again for my 4pm meds, I now have 3pm meds to deal with as well, and that screws royally with the whole thing.  The only way to now make the trip to work worthwhile it to take meds with me, something I've tried to avoid for a number of reasons.  Taking the antibiotics two hours after the 4pm meds just isn't an option as it bottlenecks the next set at 8pm.


To top it all off, they relocated the site on Sunday, but because they didn't have all the necessary preparation wipes, etc, they also moved the site as normal today.  Talk about being a pin cushion.  Something else I won't miss.


On the upside, and hoping I'm not jinxing it by talking about it, my sleep pattern is returning to something like normal.  While I wake up with a really dry throat as a result, the benefit of uninterrupted sleep is almost worth it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment