Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pump Up The Volume

Sixteen months or so ago, that term would have referred to my need for more morphine.  Today, it refers to tweaking my hearing aids.

It's quite amazing how far things have come in that time, and while the comparison may seem weird, in reality it is a perfect snapshot of how different things are now versus the same time in 2010.  I am really looking forward to a "normal" Christmas this year - and many more to come.

Back to the hearing aids.  Nicholas has tweaked the volume and what a difference it makes.  While there is a slight distortion to the sounds now, I think that will settle down as my brain adjusts.  Even typing this, the noise of the keys is really loud and knocking my watch strap against the desk is also really noticeable now.  They still aren't set to maximum level, but that will be reviewed at my next appointment in early Jan.

The level of the various notification beeps (like low battery) has also been raised, so hopefully I'll hear them in the future.  Speaking of which, the batteries had to be changed again yesterday.  That means the first ones lasted 8 days, while the second set only lasted six.  Obviously I'll need to be aware of the varying battery life and make sure I've got spares readily to hand.  It will be interesting to see if the increased volume impacts on the battery life.

No comments:

Post a Comment