Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 - A Much Better Year

At this time last year, I did a year in review piece (see here) and it is therefore only right and proper that 2011 gets the same acknowledgement.


Wow, have things changed this year.  It would be very easy to gloss over the many events of the year, because when push comes to shove, surely it is the end result that is important isn't it?


That is where I struggle a bit.  My "new normal" effectively dictates that I don't take life for granted any more and that means I end up both analysing and in most cases appreciating things that have had an influence on my life.  So with this 'ethos" in place, here goes.


The year started with a return to work full-time and while I did struggle with energy levels, etc initially, I'm now back to doing full days without any noticeable side effects.  I did start off by being very diligent with my hours and concede I've fallen somewhat back into longer hours, but 2012 is a new year, so will tweak things back a bit.  Important thing here is I acknowledge I've "fallen off the wagon" and need to adjust for the long term gain.  Given the events of 2010, it has been really good for me mentally being fully immersed into work again.


During the year, the Gang of Seven continued to play their part and as I sit here now, I feel the last of my concerns have finally been addressed. With the aid of the thyroxine (late October) I finally got control back over regulating my body temperature and I've been able to enjoy the recent lovely hot weather.  And in late November the hearing aids finally provided some relief with regards my ongoing hearing issues.  The subsequent tweaking of the volume has only enhanced the experience, and I'm sure the next/final tweak in early January will complete the process.


The one thing I struggled with for most of the year was my inability to accept that I had beaten the cancer, with each pending clinic appointment bringing on a bout of anxiety.  I think I've finally beaten that as well.  I'm looking forward to moving on without that fear as I know it has held me back a little.


It has been a good year as well as far as the other "potential" health issues go.  The annual diabetes check has me back to normal levels, and the hemochromatosis is now also back down to levels that are within the desired range. 


Sure, the good old saliva issues are still there, but like so many of the other "minor" inconveniences, I have found ways around it.  My eating is pretty much back to normal (albeit that mealtimes still require more time than they used to as I compensate for restricted jaw movement, etc) and I'm even eating a bit more bread "comfortably".  I still have to be careful with anything spicy (having even found the need to experiment with things like tomato sauce to find one with low/no spice content), but I consider these adjustments are now just part of life.  And I must be doing something right as the weight is remaining nice and stable.


There are still some things from my past that I still can't eat, but I've moved on and no longer really miss them.  In most cases they have been substituted for something else - and it is normally something that is better for me.  I will say though, that I'm pleased to be able to eat a bit more chocolate now than I could at the start of 2011, although the quantity is way down on what I used to be able to consume.  The same applies to alcohol- while I can at least drink a couple of beers now, I certainly can't handle the quantities I used to.  I'm pretty much in designated driver territory now. Wine is still pretty much 100% off the "menu" though.  What I've tried to date is just too dry on my throat and I can't be bothered even trying now.


My general energy & stamina levels are also continuing to improve in leaps and bounds.  I'm now regularly walking for a solid 60-90 minutes without any problem, and currently alternating the walking with biking for 40 minutes minimum.  The workout from the bike rides is so much better/satisfying that I'm actually leaning more towards the cycling whenever practicable.  It is more challenging and I can really feel I'm pushing myself, whereas walking doesn't deliver that same buzz any more.  Hills still present a challenge, but I'll get there with time.  


Ongoing issues being taken forward into 2012 are actually pretty minimal.  I'm still receiving treatment for my tight neck muscles and everyone concerned (osteo & acupuncturist) are happy with progress to date.  Hopefully we'll have a major breakthrough early in the year and will be able to tick that off as well.  Worst case is we'll hit a plateau where there is no further improvement, and that will be my new normal as far as that is concerned.


While I'll never forget what I've been through (and nor do I want to), I must say I'm no longer "haunted" by the experience and am really just moving forward with my new life now.


I said some time ago that I'd continue this blog until such time as I received the final all clear from the Oncologist.  I've still to get that, but I'm also in the mindset now that it is almost a matter of process now.  I think once they're happy with the results of the thyroxine (next appointment is late March) they'll stretch the appointments out and that will signal the start of the final stages.  See PMA still working.


The Russell going forward into 2012 is, I believe, a considerably stronger person both physically and mentally than the one that started 2011, so watch out everybody.  I hope you are all looking forward to the new year as much as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment