Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Merry Christmas From the Gang of Seven

Firstly, the gang of seven is remaining alarmingly static.  I'd hoped to see a couple of them fall by the wayside by now, but with the exception of the oncology registrar, Bernard, they all still keep on coming along.


Anyhow, seems things are still good.  Everybody was very happy and it seems the scarring from the radiotherapy in my throat is either healing well, or has in fact healed already.  It was a bit hard to hear which as there were a couple of conversations going on at the time.  Either way, I'll take it.


Neck and jaw was feeling really good to the 3 who decided to have a feel - another tick in the box.


So, everything considered, another great result.  Next follow-up will be three months away, so they are starting to stretch these further apart as well.


There was some concern about the gastric bug induced weight loss and it seems that once they actually see me regain some of that weight, they'll approve having Jake taken out.  So my holiday target is to oblige.  I weighed myself before I went down today and it would appear I've managed to regain about half the weight I've lost over the last month.  If I keep pushing myself, getting the other half, plus a little more, back as well is quite achievable.


Now some exciting news and it is in the believe it or not category.  It seems there is no end to what they don't have a substitute for.


As part of the consultation, I asked if there was something to give me back my saliva glands.  After some further discussions, it seems there is something that mimics the saliva and I now have a prescription for it.  It may work, it may not, but worth a crack anyway.


But wait, there's more.  I also have a prescription for some spray/liquid (not sure what) that may (or not) stimulate the remaining saliva glands into working harder and/or possibly kick start some of the dormant ones.


Exciting times to be had over the next couple of weeks as I find out if the treatments have any impact.


And, we may have found the cause of the cursed gastric bug.  Seems the antibiotics they gave me for the pump infection issues can upset the stomach lining and cause diarrhoea.  The irony of it all.


One final good news item.  My dietary restrictions are now all off.  I am allowed whatever I want and can manage, so more experimenting to come.  Looks like butter chicken could be a starter in next day or two.  I managed 1/2 a kebab yesterday, so things are happening.


Honestly, I couldn't have asked for anything better in my Christmas stocking (well not anything I'd tell you lot about anyway).  Has been a really good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment