Sunday, October 16, 2011

Acupuncture Might Just Work

In the past I've related my change of attitude towards needles.  From a healthy dislike, to "just get on with it", to weaning off the seemingly daily occurrence and back to a healthy dislike.

It is from this position that I started going into the initial acupuncture session on Wednesday afternoon.  After some initial chatting, it was top off and lie down on my stomach on the "table".  I must admit I didn't feel most of the needles going in and it was only when the therapist pressed on certain ones to ensure he had the right spot - and I could indeed feel them - that I really knew they were there.

The needles were inserted along my neck, shoulders, the tops of my feet and between the thumb and forefinger on each hand.

After 20 minutes or so, the needles came out and the therapist massaged my neck and shoulders quite rigorously.

At the start of the session, he had managed to find a very tender spot on my left shoulder, yet working the same area after the needles did not induce the same severe reaction.

I also thought the movement in my neck was a tad easier.  This acupuncture thing might just work.

It seems the therapist has had pretty good success with this type of treatment with other cancer survivors and it seems also with people suffering from stress.  He says it will take 3-4 sessions for things to really start to show long term improvements, so I'm happy to give it a go.

I'm not sure I fully grasped what he told me, but it goes something like this.  The body normally gets rid of toxins by converting them to CO2 and water - we therefore expel them by breathing and peeing.  In my case, because of the "events", my body hasn't managed to get rid of the toxins and they have been turned into lactic acid.  What we're now trying to do is break things down to let the body resume it's normal duties.

I saw Melissa for osteo on Thursday, and she felt there was some degree of increased movement.  Coupled with my own perception, that was indeed positive news.

So, in summary, it seems we might be on to a bit of a winner with the acupuncture and as I have another appointment this week, will have a better idea after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment