Sunday, September 18, 2011

What Gives

Normally when I sit down to write a post, I look back at the last one to see if there is anything to update.  It is quite interesting to just see how things have changed between posts.  This time, I'm just going to wing it.

Over recent weeks I've noticed a potentially alarming change in my eating habits.  For many months now I've been eating my 3 meals a day and have felt satisfied after each one.  Of late, I'm still feeling hungry after my meals and looking for snacks. So, why the change? I'm not doing any additional exercise that would justify the increased appetite, so why am I still hungry?

Hot on the heels of this increase in appetite, I've noticed my jeans seem a little looser than normal.  So after a quick trip to the bathroom scales, it seems my weight has dropped another 1-2 kg.  I've mentioned before the variations in weight that can occur depending on the time of day you chose to weigh yourself, but this current loss is based on weighing myself at the same time of day.

Eighteen months ago I'd have been happy to have this dilemma - eating more and losing weight.  But that was pre-cancer, and now I'm mindful of any and all changes in my body.

At the April clinic appointment Mr Hamilton raised the issue of thyroid changes as a result of the treatments, so now I'm wondering if this explains the current situation.

After both the April and July clinics, I had blood tests to monitor the thyroid levels (April was the base level and July was the comparison) and have heard nothing from the medics to indicate there is anything wrong, but does that just mean the change has only recently kicked in?  Or is there something else at play?

I don't want to jump to conclusions or speculate, so logic says it would be prudent to talk to somebody about this.  There arises the next little issue.

My next clinic appointment isn't until late October, and Tatiana is on leave until the end of this month, so getting her input is a couple of weeks away.  Yes, I could go and see another doctor, but that would mean talking to somebody who isn't across all the history, so I'd rather wait for Tatiana to return than deal with all of that.

Between now and then, I'll just continue to keep an eye on things.

Oh, and did you notice there is now an email notification option on this blog?  If you sign up for this, you should get an email whenever I add a new post.

No comments:

Post a Comment