Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Saliva Issue Shows Itself in New Ways

For almost too long to remember I've gone on about how the treatment related saliva "sacrifice" has what can only be called an ongoing presence as it impacts to varying degrees on my day to day life.

By and large I've adjusted well to the changes, but every so often I find myself being caught out by something that either I've taken for granted previously or something new.

Summer is a wonderful time of year and one thing I've had to be extra careful of now is ensuring my face & neck are always well protected.  The treatments have meant I can't handle direct sun like I used to, so extra care is taken regarding sunblocks.  But the new realisation is with regards to how the summer heat is triggering my dry throat.
I've been  doing a fair bit of work outside of late, and with the unusually hot weather over the last week or so I've been finding that merely drinking copious quantities of water isn't sufficient to deal with the dryness in my throat.
Last summer was really hot (at least for a week or two) and I can't remember this issue being of concern back then.  Yet in 2013, and we're not really into full-summer heat mode yet, this turn of events has had me thinking about how I'll deal with it over the coming months.

Couple this with another event of the last few days, and my limitations have been well and truly been brought home.  On Saturday we went to a concert and having got caught up in the moment, decided (in my tone-deaf way) to sing-along a bit.  As we left the venue, the dry throat kicked in with a vengeance.  Sure it was rather warm on Saturday night,  but I hadn't had similar issues during the preceding days which were equally tropical.

Now, not being able to vocally participate at a concert is probably a good thing for those around me, but given it is now 3 years down the line, I'm surprised to be experiencing such "fluctuations" with my throat.

I've got some biotene spray that seems to provide some degree of relief, but I'm also resorting to an array of other "remedies" that seem to help and some of those aren't good long term for my waistline, so I think it is going to be a case of keeping an eye on what I'm eating, how much talking I'm doing, etc to see if there is some tweaking that I can do to bring this issue back under control.

You may also have noticed I've updated the template for the blog.  I decided it was time for a change and the chequered flag image is somewhat symbolic of winning the 2010 fight and moving on.

No comments:

Post a Comment