Monday, December 10, 2012

I Wasn't Expecting That

They say laughter is the best medicine, and I must admit to being somewhat of a believer.  A good laugh can alleviate stress quicker than virtually anything else.

Sure, two years ago laughter didn't feature that often in my plans, but things have moved on, and with the new normal has come the return to enjoying a good laugh.

I'm an unashamed fan of Mrs Brown's Boys, because it is good old fashioned humour.  You can just lose yourself in it and forget about all the stresses of life for half an hour or so.

Last Saturday night we had our first Christmas function for the year and the entertainment turned out to be a hypnotist.  I've always been somewhat of a sceptic, but what was to follow was a good hour and a half of almost non-stop laughter from the entire audience.  All credit to the 3 guys who ended up being the entertainment and what a great time.

This is where I'd have to resort to the good old idiom - too much of a good thing can be bad for you.  It seems that prolonged laughter dries my throat out rather badly, so much so that it took all day Sunday for it to really settle down again.

Throughout the show I was continually sipping on my water, so I was totally caught out by the way my throat reacted.  It is the first time in absolute ages that my throat has felt that dry and I honestly don't know what else I could have done to keep it lubricated.  Maybe next time I'll have a glass of soft drink to add some sweetness to the mix to see if that helps.

Drinking anything other than water has been somewhat of a hit and miss affair over the last couple of years, but I've always been able to rely on good old water to keep things "balanced" throat wise, until now anyway.

Just when I thought I pretty much had everything under control and there was nothing left to surprise me, laughter of all things somewhat derails it all.  Let's call it a reality check - seems I can still expect the unexpected to remind me things have changed.  Certainly ensures I don't let complacency set in.

Oh, and one more thing.  While I can now enjoy chocolate a little more than before, I still have the problem of not being able to "process" it properly without the help of fully functioning saliva, but it seems that white chocolate is a bit more tolerable/manageable. Could be something to do with the lower cocoa content, who knows, but it certainly makes for a more enjoyable eating experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment