Sunday, September 2, 2012

Happy 2nd Rebirthday

August 16th was the 2nd anniversary of the completion of my treatment, and arguably the start of my new life.

Over the last two years, lost of things have changed and others have almost returned to pre-treatment states, and as I've said before, I have to think quite hard to remember the details of the effects the treatment had on me, so it has been invaluable to have this blog to look back on.

I don't think I'm being morbid, but I think part of keeping myself grounded and maintaining the commitments I made myself, it is important not to forget what I've been through.

The reason I raise this now is I've been pondering whether it is time to stop actually writing the blog (the posts have indeed become quite well spaced out now time-wise), but for every argument to do so, I keep coming back to the internal need to ensure my full story is recorded.

So, sorry, you'll have to put up with these for a bit longer yet.

The 16th was marked by my work colleagues giving me a "Happy Rebirthday Russell" cake, and apart from that it was just another day.  In 2010, I honestly wondered if I'd ever have a "normal" day again and it would indeed appear that time is a good healer.

At times I still get a tad frustrated with having to always carry a water bottle and drinking copious amounts of water at meal times to compensate for the missing saliva  There are other times when I would really like to have a serious drinking session without the saliva / dry throat curtailing it after only a couple of drinks.  But, these are the hands I've been dealt, and they are considerably better than others have had to endure, so overall I'm just going to roll with it and continue taking each day as it comes.

Life's too short to sweat the small stuff, so bring on summer as I'm really looking forward to doing some landscaping, etc on the new section.



No comments:

Post a Comment