Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Nitrous Oxide Rocks (and other things Dental)

Had another check up today with the oral guys at Hutt Hospital.  Another all clear, so the good news keeps on rolling on.


I think this was check-up #3 and I freely admit to developing quite an "affection" for nitrous oxide.  It certainly mellow the mood and the only downside is it is over as quick as it started.  Then again, that may be a benefit as I can drive away straight away (and don't need anyone else to get me home because I'm whacked out).


When I go to my usual dentist,and I need a filling (more on that later), I've always just taken the anaesthetic injection to solve the pain issues.  Now, I'm beginning to understand the extra relaxing properties of the nitrous, I may just have to add some of that in.


I think Mr Gillingham actually got a bit heavy handed with the dosage today - his nurse was pretty quick at turning it back down.  Never mind, I was happy by then.


This week so far has been somewhat all about dentists.  I usually have an annual check-up, but last year's got caught up in everything else, so I never had one.  Monday was this year's check-up and Ashwin was pretty happy with what he saw.  Seems the saliva issues have one positive side effect.  Seems saliva and tartar are linked - as a result of a lack of my issues, I'm not developing tartar.  Yippee.


On the downside, I have two small holes on my left hand side (one upper, one lower) that need to be filled.  That will happen next week. Semi-Boo.  Now, I found out today that these small holes can pop up from time to time potentially as a result of my treatment.


When they took the 5 teeth out last year before my treatment started, it was to ensure the jaw, etc could heal before the zapping created havoc.  Post treatment, there was/is the risk any teeth removed could cause issues as the jaw won't be able to heal as well (if at all?) as it could before being radiated.  So, 5 teeth down, everyone was happy we had a good base to work from.


Now it seems this little "decay issue" may be an ongoing thing that needs to be watched.


The one thing that annoys me most about it is I'm getting tooth decay without enjoying the normal root causes (no pun intended) - things like chocolate, sweets, takeaway food, etc.  In the past I've gone for a few years without needing fillings, while going crazy on the bad foods.  Now I'm being a good boy (by in large), only have small quantities of treats (normally as dictated/restricted by the saliva issues) and I've got god-damn fillings required.  Let's not forget I couldn't actually eat for 5 odd months during all of this either.  And, I just remembered, I do most of my eating on the right hand side of my mouth now as well.  Talk about stacked odds.


So, despite being a good boy with cleaning my teeth, using the required mouthwashes, etc, I'm screwed yet again by the after effects of the treatment.


Given the alternatives, I'm happy to have a slightly increased filling rate.  At least I'm around to moan about such things.



No comments:

Post a Comment